Updated to 1.19
Lapis Lazuli Ores and Diamond Ores are linked. You can easily find Diamonds following a simple step by step process, starting from Lapis Lazuli Ores. Today we are here to see this Lapis-Diamond trick in details. Let’s start!
Where to find Lapis Lazuli
The best way to find Lapis Lazuli Ores is to go exploring caves or Ravines. Lapis Lazuli can generate from Y-level -64 to Y-level 64. They are more common around level 0 though.
To know the Y-level you are at, you can press F3 to see your coordinates.
Where to dig for Diamonds
First and foremost, press F3+G to see the chunk’s borders. This is very important. The chunk’s borders will look like this.
From one of the Lapis Lazuli Ores that are on the North side of the group, move to the 4th block in the North direction.
To know where the north is, you can press F3. The blue arrow at the center will point North (also known as the positive Z-axis).
If the 4th block north is in another chunk, like in the following screenshot:
then you have to continue counting on the other side of the same chunk:
You can start digging down from that block.
Always be careful when digging straight down, you could easily die from fall damage or end up in a Lava pool. That’s why you may want to dig following a vertical stairs pattern.
All you have to do is dig down until you find Diamond Ores.
When the Lapis trick doesn’t work
- This system doesn’t have a 100% chances of success (more like 80%), so you will not always find Diamonds this way
- It also does not work in all seeds. If you try it on 5/6 or more Lapis Lazuli Ores and you don’t find any Diamond, chances are that it is not going to work in all the Minecraft world you are playing
- It doesn’t work if you are playing the Java 1.13 patch or older
- This method doesn’t seem to work in Minecraft Bedrock edition
- Since the 1.18 patch, the process of terrain generation was changed and this method is not as reliable as it used to be. The Clay-Diamond trick on the other hand was not as affected by the change in the terrain generation
Credits to leospeedleo who discovered and covered the correlation between Lapis Lazuli and Diamonds.
The Lapis-Diamond trick is a great way to find plenty of Diamonds without having to strip mine, something that players usually don’t love (to say the least). You need to find Lapis Lazuli Ores, then dig down starting from the 4th block north from the Ores. If the 4th block north is in another chunk, then you have to continue counting on the other side of the same chunk. Thank you very much for reading the article this far and I hope I’ll see you again around here. See you and take care!