Updated to 1.19
Minecraft players favorite pets have the ability to teleport next to their owner. Sometimes we don’t want them to do it, maybe because we are going on a dangerous trip. So, are Dogs always going to teleport next to us?
Dogs are not always going to teleport, in fact there are different situations in which they don’t. Like for example when they sit. Today we are going to see how to prevent them from teleporting and also how to make sure that they do teleport. Let’s start!
When Dogs teleport
In Minecraft you can tame Wolfs by giving them Bones, which you can get as loot when you kill Skeletons. It could take more than one Bone. You will know that the Wolf is tamed when it will show a new red collar.
A tamed Wolf (or Dog) will always follow you. And if you get more than 12 blocks away from your Dog, it will teleport next to you.
When Dogs do NOT teleport
There are different ways to stop Dogs from teleporting:
- if the Dog sits. This is the most common way for players to prevent their Dogs from teleporting. You can order your Dog to sit by right-clicking on it
- if you attached the Dog to a Fence with a Lead
- if the Dog is attacking or chasing a mob
- if the Dog is in an unloaded Chunk (see also: How to reload Chunks in Minecraft?)
- if you are in a different dimension than your Dog. For example, if you are in the Nether, your Dog will not teleport there from the Overworld
- if you are not on the ground. For example, your Dog will not teleport if you are flying in Creative mode (see also: What is considered cheating in Minecraft?)
- if the Dog is in a Minecart
So if you don’t want your Dog to follow you, you can choose one from the list. The easiest one is to order your Dog to sit, but you can choose whichever you prefer.
Why a Dog is still teleporting
Many players reported that their Dogs still teleport even if they were left sitting, or attached to a Fence. This can happen for two reasons:
- a Dog will teleport if it lost health while sitting (if for example a mob hit them)
- if you get hit by a mob or another player, there is a chance that your Dog will still teleport to defend you. This can happen only if the Dog is in a loaded Chunk
Otherwise yor Dog shouldn’t teleport at all, if you left it in one of the ways described before.
A Dog does not always teleport, in fact the easiest way to prevent a Dog to teleport is to order it to sit. A Dog can still teleport if you left it sitting, but this can only happen if either you or the Dog get hit. Thank you very much for reading the article this far and I hope I’ll see you again around here. See you and take care!